Advertisement

June 10, 2013

A Diet Guide for Patients After Gallbladder Surgery

As I've mentioned in my previous post, I underwent a laparoscopic gallbladder surgery last month. The doctors told me that there is no special diet to be followed after the surgery but I have to avoid eating fatty foods for I suffer from diarrhea. 

For additional information, I read an article written by Emily Creasy on livestrong.com and I want to share this to you. 

Right after the operation, the doctor may request your to limit your food intake to clear liquids only. That was also the actual instruction of my doctor. This will lessen the stress on your body for faster healing and recovery. Clear liquids include water, juices, broth, gelatin, and coffee or tea without milk/cream.
Once cleared by the doctor, you can gradually resume to pre-surgery diet. This time, stick to a low-fiber, low-fat dier including foods such as bread, low-fat dairy, fruits and vegetables, and lean meats. Again, avoid foods that are high in fat as well as gas-producing foods like beans and broccoli which can lead to gas pains, bloated stomach, and diarrhea.

Ms. Creasy recommends keeping a list of foods that cause you discomfort so that you're aware of what to avoid in the future. Another suggestion is to take smaller but frequent meals in order to ease the work of your digestive system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't forget to leave a short note.

The texts and photos on Uncomplicated belong to the site owner, unless otherwise stated. Should you wish to reproduce the text and /or photo content, kindly send me an email and ask permission first. Thank you!

SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner